Custom Search

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Doug Fields & Facebook - My Encouragement


I am sitting in my room on the eve of the Simply Youth Ministry Conference (SYMC) and can’t help but think of what we heard from Doug Fields and others this evening at supper along with a message I received yesterday on Facebook. I’ll start with the Facebook message. A month or so ago we, a group (Highway 35 Student Ministries) of youth ministers and youth minded pastors who have been working together since last May, sponsored a dodge ball tournament. The event attracted a lot of youth and a bunch of spectators. The Facebook message was just letting me know how excited this person was that we were able to get all those kids to mingle together.

The message tonight was how we needed to band together to encourage and “love on” each other this weekend. Many youth ministers come to a conference with a lot of baggage and/or are tired, worn down and maybe even ready to quit. We were asked to find ways to build up those we come in contact with. In fact, the speakers are asked to be available to people during the conference and if they don’t, aren’t asked to return.

As I think about these two messages to me, I really feel the importance of what I do on a regular basis. I really see my role now, more than ever, as an encourager. In 23 years of ministry, I have been to the place where I have wanted to quit. I have written my resignation a number of times. I have received the unsigned note in my church mailbox and been attacked for being a bit too edgy. So, I think I understand those times. I have also seen the good times. Notes from former “youth” have been great and watching adults I have ministered to ministering to kids is very gratifying. What an interesting run it has been for me. So, with the two messages I have heard, I feel like I need to keep spending time working together with other youth workers and do my best to be the encouragement they need to keep imparting their lives to kids.

No comments:

Health in Amazon

Adsense