Custom Search

Friday, October 5, 2007

The King of Kong - My Short Review



Last Night I had the opportunity, if you want to call it that, to see the documentary "The King of Kong - A Fistful of Quarters" at the Campus Theater (I could make a post about the 66 year old art deco theater, but I won't) in Lewisburg, PA. I am not much for documenataries but this one was quite good. It had acutally been suggested to me by a friend who had seen it at the Austin, TX film festival.


The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters follows a middle school science teacher as he battles a hot sauce mogul for the Guinness World Record on the arcade classic Donkey Kong.

Peter Travers of Rolling Stone called it "Roaringly Funny". I wouldn't go that far. It was humorous at times. But not roaringly funny. I did laugh out loud a couple of times. I had too. Some of these characters were funny. And remember, this was a documentary, with real people, not actors.
As with most documentaries, at least in my opinion, they show a bit too much. The entire thing could have been about 15 - 20 minutes shorter without losing anything at all.

In all, I was really glad I went and I think you would be too.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh that Nathan...king of documentaries...sent you to see king kong. ha ha ha ha

SandyCarlson said...

Thanks for the heads up on this one!

Happy Blog Your Blessings Sunday.

Health in Amazon

Adsense