Custom Search

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Dr. Jerry Falwell

As most of you know, Jerry Falwell died yesterday. I wasn't able to be at my computer yesterday afternoon and evening, so I haven't had the chance to post about this until now. Although being controvesial, I admired Dr. Falwell for what he has done for people around the world. I was able to attend Liberty University, founded by Falwell, and had the opportunity to sit next to and talk with him. It was at a basketball game at the Vines Center. He had just come from an interview or interviews and still had makeup on his face. I had just asked if I could say hello and shake his hand to thank him for the opportunity to study at Liberty. He asked me to sit down. Our conversation wasn't long, but he looked me in the eyes while he asked and answered questions. I was thankful for that short time. He was mortal, but he passionately did what he felt God would have him do. I need to be more like that.

Perry Noble has a post that I liked concern Dr. Falwell.

4 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

That's a nice insight. I think, though, that he has done both Christianity and our country a great disservice by linking his idea of Jesus with political conservatism, the message of which is miles away from the Gospel.

Joel Snyder said...

Thanks Sandy for the comment. I may not be the best person to talk about this. On one hand I think it would be best to share Jesus with everyone and not indulge in all the things in the world. On the other hand, what is wrong with being part of the political process? I don't think people should separate their beliefs, centered on God's Word, from what we believe politically.

I also don't believe we should take "religion" out of the process when the country was founded mostly by men who started the country on their beliefs in God and His Word.

Anonymous said...

I think it is more of a case where the media, not Dr. Falwell, linked his views of Jesus with that. in my opinion he was simply doing as we are told to do and was ready to give an account as it says in 1 Peter 3:15. He was not afraid to talk about things he knew and what was important in his life and what he believed. What the media and liberals do with that is out of our control. He simply put the truth out there. Even if you do not agree with him, you should at least respect that someone is willing to do that.

Joel Snyder said...

Thanks, JR for your comments. I may need an esquire someday. I will keep you in mind.

Health in Amazon

Adsense